Monday, March 30, 2009




I've been making my own lunch now, most days, for the past 3 months. Sometimes it's boring, sometimes I stink up the lunchroom with my curry concoctions (I have to consciously make an effort not to bring in leftovers with too much garlic, or salmon). A few times though, I impressed myself with the perfect balance of a little boxed lunch. Though mine are rustic, I imagine that this might be similar to the satisfaction felt by those moms who make their kids precisely prepared bento lunches, such as those on Adventures in Bento Making.

This was one of my better ones:
Roasted butternut squash, tossed in olive oil and sprinkled with curry powder, smoked paprika, and salt.
Roasted parsnips.
Sauteed kale with garlic.
Leftover steak stir-fried with onions.

The perfect mix of savory and sweet, with plenty of veggies. Look ma - no carbs!

No comments:

Post a Comment